Digital media is quickly becoming ubiquitous with the modern sports experience. Whether it’s sharing stories and videos with friends online, checking social media sites for live updates, or browsing team stats on a smartphone during the game, fans rely on the Internet even more than the television for sports content.
But with so many different sources contributing to the flood of sports content every day, content creators must carefully plan their fan engagement strategies if they want to stand out from the crowd. A big part of this is identifying exactly who your target consumers are, and what they find engaging.
We’ve curated this list of 10 Stats to Help You Increase Sports Fan Engagement to help!
10. Among self-identified devoted sports fan, 45% prefer online sports, compared to 33% who prefer televised content.
9. 66% of devoted fans go online at least once per day for sports related reasons.
8. 30% of all fans say most of their time online with sports sites is spent reading content versus watching online video.
7. 52% of all sports fans use a tablet or smartphone to access sports content while watching televised sports.
6. Men aged 35-44 use mobile devices to access sports content on their mobile devices while watching televised sports 10% more than all other gender and age segments.
5. 50% of female sports fans aged 25-34 access sports content online while watching non-sports related television.
4. 72% of sports fans are most engaged by exciting pre-game content.
3. In the social media realm, 35% of 18-34 year-olds frequently or very frequently use social media to share sports related content or videos.
2. 36% of sports fans say they are more likely to be interested in a brand that sponsors or advertises around sports.
1. 70% of sports fans who like or follow a brand online say they’re open to sharing brand content, buying goods, or engaging with social posts.