Freelance writers are in high demand in Cleveland as more businesses look to connect with new customers on the internet and provide relevant information to both loyal and prospective clients.
Making a Living as a Freelance Writer in Cleveland
In Cleveland, professional writers average about $40,000 per year, according to ZipRecruiter – which is not a bad salary considering many writers also freelance part-time or may be working simultaneously on book projects. Local companies employ writers in Cleveland’s diverse technical industries, media outlets, and the alternative press.
With today’s mobile technology and ecommerce platforms creating an intense demand for copywriters and webpage writers, the need for compelling blog posts, website content, thought leadership articles, and press releases have skyrocketed.
If you have a desire to write, consider content marketing companies like WriterAccess that give freelance writers an opportunity to earn a good secondary income, and for many – a primary source of income. Freelancing allows writers to work as many, or as few hours as they prefer. WriterAccess has grown each year since its inception in 2010, and keeps to its primary mission of connecting businesses and agencies of any size with the best freelancers in the nation.
When you check with online job markets such as Indeed and Glassdoor, you will find a wide range of writing jobs that pay well above average. One of the best ways to sharpen your copywriting and technical writing skills is through freelancing as a website content writer. You may even find a very profitable, niche writing market to specialize in for an exponential boost in earnings, including:
Profitable Online Writing Niche Markets
- Content Marketing & Strategy
- Video Scripts
- Ultimate Guides (Long Form Posts)
- Case Studies
Educational Opportunities for Cleveland Writers
- Literary Cleveland, A Community of Writers and Readers: Now and then you’ll find a writing establishment that stands alone in its reach and dedication to the local writing community. LitCleveland is one such example, offering a wide range of writing classes, workshops, writing competitions, and craft talks. Course levels range from beginning to advanced with the mission of taking writers to the next level in their writing career.
- NOSCBWI,Northern Ohio Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators: For those writers with a panache for children’s literature, this society offers yearly student memberships and hosts shop talks, literary critiques, and other local events. They have multiple chapters across the U.S. with a focus on helping writers get published.
- Cleveland State University, Professional Writing Certificate: For students with a baccalaureate degree in advertising, corporate writing, technical writing, or public relations, CSU offers a professional writing certificate that covers various writing genres, graphic design, editing, and textbook production.
Meet and Greet the Local Community
- Cleveland Writers Meetup: Over 900 Cleveland writers gather by way of contact on the popular social get-together platform Meetup.com to hang out with local writers and motivate each other. Members encourage each other to polish and publish their works in progress. You will find a host of writing groups from novel writing to songwriting and technical writing.
- Monthly Writers’ Network: This group meets every month at the Bottlehouse Brewery and Meadery to network and chat about writing while also sharing resources and critical advice. They encourage everyone to bring a short piece of writing to share while sipping on beer and wine.
Engage with the Greater Community
Catapult your writing career by attending writers conferences that offer a fresh view on how to navigate the print publishing and online content writing worlds. Expect keynote speakers that inspire and plenty of face-to-face interactions for building your writing network.
- Lakeland’s Writers Conference and Workshop – A popular, annual writer’s seminar held on the campus of Lakeland Community College where writers discover the power of words and what lies beneath a powerful plot and storyline.
- 35th Annual Western Reserve Writers Conference – This conference is held every year at The William N. Skirball Writers’ Center and features industry leading keynote speakers with timely advice for overcoming challenges that are common to writers. Writers choose from multiple break out sessions specific to your writing genre.
- Imagination: A Writers Workshop & Conference – Join in a 6-day workshop held on the Cleveland State University campus in July that includes workshops in 5 genres. Enjoy the company of other writers participating in craft talks, readings, and social events.
Learn More to Earn More – Writing
So much to learn and so many ways to grow as a writer in Cleveland! Participate in writing classes and workshops in the Cleveland area to meet writers that share your love for the written word. Workshops are great for gaining valuable insight from practicing and published writers.
- 2019 Cleveland Writing Workshop – Hosted during July, writers spend an intense, instructional day discovering how to get published. For both fiction and nonfiction writers, get the inside scoop on what agents and editors want – so you can make successful pitches and write winning queries.
- Free Monthly Writing Workshops – The Cleveland Public Library System hosts monthly writing workshops for writers of all ages and all skill levels. Receive constructive critique and realize your writing goals by exploring a list of classes held at select CPL locations.
- Winter Writing Festival – Explore writing workshops, writing contests, and open mic readings at this annual writing festival hosted by several downtown businesses in Ravenna, Ohio. Explore the fun side of writing as this festival features book raffles, a movie quote contest, a book store pop-up, Haiku writing and more!
- Tri-C Writing Center – The Cuyahoga Community College Writing Center provides one-on-one consultation, information, and encouragement to writers in all disciplines. Learn the technical aspects of writing including document preparation, citation style, and research.
Stoke Your Inner Writer’s Muse!
For an inspirational place to write blog posts and other online content, the Cleveland Metroparks feature an extensive system of public green spaces, rivers, and natural preserves – unofficially referred to as the ‘Emerald Necklace’. Writers in every quadrant of Northern Ohio can find a tranquil setting to gain writing inspiration from nature.
Other notable places where writers in Cleveland gather to hash out storylines or meet writing deadlines include:
Cleveland’s Downtown has experienced a true urban revitalization, offering mixed-use live-and-work spaces along with top entertainment venues and 4- and 5-star eateries. Get energized working in a vibrant, creative, and collaborative area for a new generation of entrepreneurs and gig economy workers.
Doing What You Love to Do!
Because of Cleveland’s rich industrial and medical sectors, technical and medical writers are in high demand. But, general interest writers can check with the many media print outlets and local job agencies to find employment as an editor, writer, or journalist. The great news is that you can always monetize your writing skills as a freelance writer, writing copy for businesses across the U.S. and Canada.
Working for Cleveland Digital Marketing Firms
When companies need to covert website traffic into sales, they rely on Cleveland digital marketing firms to strategize a complete online content plan which may include SEO and SEM processes that can increase their visibility on the internet. Providing website optimization, informational content, and engaging social media posts are desired skills when working for a digital marketing firm in Cleveland.
WebFx, Pole Position Marketing, Hedges and Company, and Kuno Creative are a few of the leading digital marketing firms to consider in this booming career field.
Writing for Online Content Platforms
One of the best ways to become proficient as a writer is to hone your skills while practicing your craft. Even better, earn extra income while you’re at it. From sales copy writing, product descriptions, general interest blogs, website service pages, and thought leadership articles – online content platforms give you the chance to write as much, or as little as you desire.
- WriterAccess – When our 25,000+ clients look to boost their online marketing strategies that require SEO-rich articles to boost their online rankings, they depend on our over 15,000 freelance writers to get the words written. Based out of Boston, our writers are typing in every part of the country and earn top pay as freelance writers, content strategists, editors, and translators. Now is a good time to complete the application process, as we are expanding to 5 more countries that need well-written online content.
- Contently – If you’re a Cleveland writer with a portfolio of written work – either published or collecting dust, this site gives you the opportunity to showcase your talent. Once vetted, you may get selected for one of their talent teams that feature clients in the B2B, finance, and technology sectors.
- Verblio – Formerly know as Blogmutt, is a content writing platform where novice writers can hone their craft and make money while writing part-time. The application process is straightforward and you are paid when the client accepts your article submission.
Join the Ranks of Cleveland Writers
The Cleveland Writing Scene is Exciting! Cleveland, Ohio is home to the American Greetings Corporation which produces over 10,000 cards per year, including their flagship Hallmark greeting cards. Ohio also boasts a rich literary history and presence, including Langston Hughes, Rita Dove, Zane Grey, Toni Morrison, Gloria Steinem, and R.L. Stine, the author of the Goosebumps series of books.
Get started and join the ranks of freelance Cleveland writers that are finding excellent pay for generating online content that drives ecommerce and social networking.